Connecting Kansas City kids with nature, adventure, and friendship—that’s what we do best at Wildwood. From our summer overnight camps to our school field trips and unique fundraising events, Wildwood is a cause to get excited about and a mission you can see in action. We believe in the power of camp to change kids’ lives, and we reduce common barriers so families experiencing financial hardship can choose camp for their children.
Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is seeking a full-time Program Manager to help fulfill our strategic plan and further our mission in the community. This new position focuses on managing fall and spring outdoor school/rental programs, implementation of the Bio-Inspired MakerSpace program, and assisting the Director of Operations with leadership of summer camp program.
We offer 100% paid employee health insurance, an annual salary of $18,000 to $22,000, and private on-site housing and utilities (heat, water, electricity). We are located south of Louisburg, KS, and the position requires the applicant to live onsite. Work hours are variable and will require evening and weekend hours as needed for groups and summer programs.
This position requires at least 2 seasons of management experience at a sleepaway camp. Candidate must have strong skills in supervising staff, creating schedules, providing excellent customer service, and creating outcomes-based curriculum. Candidates with experience in environmental education, aquatics, and ropes courses are preferred. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required. Candidates should have the ability to work independently, strive for excellence and build positive relationships with stakeholders.
This position requires the ability to navigate irregular terrain and walk up to a mile daily in all weather conditions, the ability to make quick decisions, resolve conflicts, speak publicly and apply organizational policies and procedures consistently under circumstances like extreme heat, inclement weather, and late hours, while maintaining professional demeanor. The ability to respond calmly and follow procedures in emergencies and crises is essential. Regular attendance in person at the site is required during planned working hours.
To apply, email a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications and your résumé to Laura Jernigan, Camp Operations Director, at Laura@WildwoodCTR.org. No phone calls, please.
Responsibilities will include:
Outdoor School/Camp Rentals
- Communicating with schools/groups details for their Wildwood experience, creating schedules, giving tours, training staff on curriculum, and following up after the program.
- Ensuring facility and equipment readiness prior to the groups’ arrival.
- Staffing and coordinating a point of contact that ensures groups’ needs are heard and managed during all stays.
- Recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating seasonal fall and spring staff.
- Managing food service to meet the groups’ needs.
- Managing program resources by being in compliance with ACA standards, record keeping, purchasing of supplies, training and supervision.
- Implement and assist in the creation of Bio-Inspired MakerSpace program for field trips and for summer camp. Design curriculum, order supplies, and lead programming.
- Fulfill grant requirements and the organization of the data needed for grants.
- Train staff, and be an enthusiastic advocate for the MakerSpace program.
Summer Camp Support
- Assist in recruiting summer staff and interviewing for summer positions.
- Assist in camper retention events throughout the year.
- Assist in supervising, training and evaluating summer seasonal staff.
- Assist in creating schedules, communicating with parents, helping counseling staff with managing children, and creating exciting progressive programs.
- Manage Ropes and Aquatics programs to be in compliance with ACA standards.
- Work as a team with the other admin summer staff by helping and supporting the health supervisor, food service manager, and program director.
- Step in as the Camp Director when the Camp Director/Director of Operations is not available.
About Wildwood: Wildwood was founded in 1980 and has a strong reputation for excellent outdoor learning. We serve 4,500 youth annually. A full-time staff of four(soon to be five) lead the year-round operations with up to 25 seasonal staff April-October. Wildwood recently completed a $532,857 capital campaign for facility improvements and has an annual budget of around $600,000. About half of the annual revenue is raised through program fees and half through fundraising and grants.
Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity