Connecting Kansas City kids with nature, adventure, and friendship is what we do best at Wildwood. From our summer overnight camps to our school field trips, Wildwood is a cause to get excited about and a mission you can see in action. We believe in the power of camp to enrich kids’ lives, and we remove barriers to summer camp for KC-area families.
Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is seeking seasonal Cabin Leaders to help further our mission of summer camp for the community. This position focuses on planning, teaching, coordinating, and implementing the summer camp program:
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their cabin groups, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes;
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes;
- Ensures that camp safety practices and procedures are being followed;
- Be a role model to campers and staff in their attitude and behavior;
- and building strong connections with campers and staff.
The position requires living and working on-site at our camp in La Cygne, KS during summer months (May to August). Work hours in the summer will require evenings and may include weekend hours.
Responsibilities will include:
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching of activities..
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for the progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities..
- Assist in program areas such as aquatics, ropes courses, science, all camp activities, and arts and crafts as directed.
Health & Safety
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision.
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by health care manager.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems, and discuss with camp health manager and/or camp director when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
- Follow all protocols to mitigate further risks with Covid-19.
This position requires the ability to work with youth in a positive manner. A successful candidate will have some experience leading activities for youth. Excellent communication skills are essential. Candidates should have the ability to work independently, strive for excellence, and possess a demonstrated passion for diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
We offer a starting daily salary at $55/day for 5-6 days a week, and accommodations for the duration of employment.
To be considered, please complete the application at the link to the right. Please direct questions to Amanda Hall, Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls, please.