Connecting Kansas City kids with nature, adventure, and friendship—that’s what we do best at Wildwood. From our summer overnight camps to our school field trips and weekend retreats, Wildwood is a cause to get excited about and a mission you can see in action. We believe in the power of camp to change kids’ lives, and we reduce common barriers to outdoor learning so families experiencing financial hardship can choose camp for their children.
Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is seeking a Group Experiences Manager to help fulfill our strategic plan and further our mission in the community. This new position manages group camping experiences including weekend retreats, school field trips, corporate teambuilding, and rental contracts and is responsible for the growth of revenue and participant outcomes through group experiences. Most of these programs occur during the school-year.
This full-time, year-round position offers:
- The opportunity to connect youth and adults with nature and each other
- Autonomy and independence to bring program ideas to life
- A mix of administrative, leadership, hospitality, marketing, education, programming, and customer service responsibilities
- An exempt wage of $28,000-$32,000 annually
- Paid vacation, sick and holiday leave in accordance with policies
- 100% employee health, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance
The position will require evening and weekend hours for hosting groups and programs during the months when programming occurs (March-October). Some overnight stays will be required and private family on-site housing is provided.
This position requires:
- A four-year degree in any field or equivalent professional experience and/or certification.
- At least two years of experience as an educator, extension services, camp staff, ropes course facilitator or other training, teaching.
- Experience training, coaching and supervising staff.
- A history of creating and successfully executing basic marketing and sales plans, including public speaking and professional writing.
- Proficient computer skills including independently using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, shared file storage, creating and editing spreadsheets and schedules, knowledge of databases and experience using online tools to create surveys, communicate with groups, build and establish relationships. Experience conducting research online.
Candidates with prior experience in camping, extension services, environmental education and/or high or low ropes courses are preferred.
Responsibilities will include:
- Generating ideas for outdoor programs and designing outcomes-based curriculum for youth and adults.
- Developing and implementing programs targeted to meet youth development outcomes, grade level standards for schools, and optimizing our new bio-inspired design makerspace.
- Identifying prospects and marketing outdoor school and retreat programs to result in sustained revenue growth. Providing telephone support, email communication and in-person tours to prospective customers.
- Overseeing Wildwood’s high and low ropes courses and teambuilding programs year-round including achieving certification, providing training, maintaining documentation and designing programming appropriate for youth, adults, and summer campers.
- Communicating with new prospects and returning schools/groups to set contracts and expectations for their Wildwood experience, create program schedules and confirm invoice and deposit details.
- Training staff on curriculum and providing regular documented observation and coaching to ensure procedures are followed and program excellence is achieved.
- Ordering supplies and readying program equipment and facilities as needed for each group. Overseeing basic cleaning at the end of each program.
- Serving as the point of contact to build relationships with customers and make sure groups’ needs are heard and managed during stays.
- Communicating food service needs including meal schedules, dietary restrictions, and menu preferences to kitchen staff via shared electronic communication.
- Managing program to be in compliance with ACA standards, ACCT guidelines, budgetary restrictions, and all applicable laws.
This position requires the ability to navigate irregular terrain and walk up to a mile daily in all weather conditions, the ability to make quick decisions, resolve conflicts, speak publicly and apply organizational policies and procedures consistently under circumstances like extreme heat, inclement weather, and late hours, while maintaining a professional demeanor. The ability to respond calmly and follow procedures in emergencies and crises is essential. Regular attendance in person at the site is required during outdoor education and retreat programming.
To apply, email a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications and your résumé to Laura Jernigan, Camp Operations Director, at Laura@WildwoodCTR.org. No phone calls, please.
Wildwood is where kids grow better outside. We celebrate learning and recognize that we are all constantly learning from each other and from nature.
We commit to stewardship, living thoughtfully on the land and in community with each other. We use resources wisely.
And, we are committed to equity and diversity. Wildwood campers and staff come from many geographic, racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds. We reduce barriers to participation so children have equal access to our programs. We create space that is safe for all. We intentionally design our program so all staff and campers can be their best and whole self at Wildwood.
Wildwood was founded in 1980 and has a strong reputation for excellent outdoor learning. We serve 4,500 youth annually. A year-round staff of five lead operations with up to 35 seasonal staff during the summer. Wildwood recently completed a $532,857 capital campaign for facility improvements and has an annual budget of around $750,000. About half of the annual revenue is raised through program fees and half through fundraising and grants.
Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks diversity in candidates for employment–race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity.